Oneupweb’s Guide to Pinterest: Rich Pins (Part 3)
In our last post we covered Promoted Pins, now it’s time to talk Rich Pins.
What are Rich Pins?
- Rich Pins are a special type of Pin that makes using the platform more straightforward and seamless.
- Not to be confused with Promoted Pins, Rich Pins are actually free for businesses.
- These Pins include extra information beyond just the image (like real-time pricing on a product, availability or where to buy it), click-through link and the Pinner’s description.
- It is recommended that advertisers build out Rich Pins prior to launching Promoted pins (the more info/content, the better).
- Currently, there are six types of Rich Pins.
Rich Pins types:
- Place pins allow users to create a map with the content they share. To enable place Pins, you simply check off the “add a map” option when you create or edit a Pin Board.
- Selecting the map option overlays your Pins onto an actual interactive map (as opposed to the typical solid-color background). You can then add places to your existing Pins and Pin new places as well.
- Place Pins include important details like addresses and phone numbers – perfect for mapping out restaurants and other attractions when you’re planning a trip.
- Just because Pinterest is highly visual in nature, doesn’t mean it’s not a good place to share written content.
- As long as an article features an image, it can be Pinned to Pinterest.
- But article Pins make it so that users can automatically see the article’s headline, author and a story description – making them much more searchable and distinguishing them from other content on the platform.
- Product pins make shopping on Pinterest a lot easier. Unlike a regular Pin, Rich Pins show where the product you’re pinning can be purchased, the current price and a direct link to the product page.
- Additionally, Product Pin prices are updated in real time, and if a user Pins a Product Pin to their board, they will be notified when the product’s price is lowered.
- Since many Pinterest users create boards that serve as wish lists for things they want, Product Pins are a great way to convert Pins into purchases.
- Pinterest is already a huge hub for foodies, and you can find just about any recipe imaginable on the site. Recipe Pins take sharing food on Pinterest to a whole new level.
- Unlike a regular Pin, which would show an image and a description that is manually entered in by the Pinner, these recipe-specific Rich Pins show users important information like the necessary ingredients and their amounts, cooking times and serving info.
- Recipe Pins also display details about whether a recipe is vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, paleo, etc., making searching for – and determining which recipes you can make – a lot simpler.
- Great for film buffs, these Rich Pins show more details about the movies you Pin.
- Movie Pins include information like the year a film was released, its rating, the director and the main stars of the film.
- When Pinning from different movie websites like Netflix, Flixter and Rotten Tomatoes, Pinners will also see how those websites’ users ranked films as well.
- Pinterest’s newest addition to the Rich-Pins family allows you to share and download apps directly from the platform. Currently, app pins only work in the United States, and with iOS apps.
- To use them, simply choose a device, and add a link to the App Store — Pinterest will add a download button to your pin, so users don’t even have to leave your Pin Board.
Promoted Pins + Rich Pins:
- Both types of Pins can drive a return on investment for brands.
- While advertisers have to pay to play in order to amplify their pins on a large scale, Rich Pins have the benefit of eliciting engagement and driving an action without the added cost.
- Rich and Promoted Pins are not mutually exclusive, according to advertisers. A Rich Pin means the Pin pulls through item data such as name, price and availability from the advertiser’s website.
- A Promoted Pin means the advertiser is paying for the Pin to get it viewed by more people.
- It’s recommended that a Pin is Rich before promoting, since Rich Pins pull through an additional logo and help maintain the branding as it is Pinned further downstream.
If you’re a current or aspiring franchisee or franchisor, it’s important to stay on top of the latest trends in the franchise industry to inform your business decisions. Let’s take a look at some of the most important franchise business and marketing trends and stats. We also included explanations about how to best use these...