FAQs about Marketing Consulting
Many businesses count on consultants to lead their marketing strategy in the right direction, especially when they’re beginning to prioritize digital strategies. Below you’ll find answers to some commonly asked questions about hiring and working with a marketing consultant.
1. What Is a Marketing Consultant?
A marketing consultant is a person, or a team (in Oneupweb’s case), that advises a company to guide marketing decisions based on research and experience. There are all types of consulting specialists, from all-around digital marketing strategy consultants to more niche experts.
2. Why Hire a Marketing Consultant?
Hiring a marketing consultant will provide your business with a plan that wasn’t created in a silo. Having that external advisor forces your organization to confront internally held biases and assumptions about marketing and your target audience, which makes for a stronger strategy.
Unlike hiring a new full-time employee, hiring a consultant can be quite flexible, with services being scaled up or down as needed. This usually means better cost efficiency.
If you are moving toward more digital marketing, rather than traditional, hiring a digital marketing consultant can help you with the transition. Having a strong online presence is like having a second storefront – and while that comes with more opportunity, it comes with more responsibility and cost as well. A consultant can help you be confident that your money is being spent strategically.
3. How Should I Choose a Digital Marketing Consultant?
Choose a digital marketing consultant that aligns with your business’s goals and has the experience necessary to adequately advise you. Additionally, make sure this expert is someone you could see yourself working with for a long time. Personality matters, in this case, nearly as much as experience.
Here are some questions you can ask to decide if a consultant is a good fit for you:
- What industry do you focus on?
- Have you worked with small/large businesses?
- How will you measure success?
- What will deliverables look like?
- Who is the team I’ll be working with?
- May I see a portfolio? (This may already be on the consultant’s website. For example, take our case studies.)
- What is your client load? (In other words, do you have time for me?)
- Can you talk to some references?
- Do you have any initial ideas for getting prospective clients to my business?
4. What to Expect from a Marketing Consultant?
So what makes a good marketing consultant? Here’s what you should expect out of the person or team you hire:
- They listen and respond to your ideas, rather than throwing them out. No matter what, you know your business best. Consultation should be a two-sided conversation, and the work should be collaborative.
- They know how to work within your timeline and budget.
- They are transparent about pricing and don’t surprise you with fees.
- They do research to improve services, and they explain what they’re doing.
- They continually get to know the nuances of your business better.
- They prove their worth in a way that’s meaningful to you – such as with custom reporting.
- They understand digital marketing and aren’t stuck in the past.
Consultation services are the start of a relationship. While a marketing consultant will have done research to smarten up about your business, the consultation is when you both dig deeper into what is needed.
5. How Much Should I Pay a Marketing Consultant?
Rates for marketing consultants can vary, depending on location, industry, business size and the scope of the agreement. An individual marketing consultant may reasonably charge about $150 to $200 an hour. If you prefer to work with an agency, expect the rates to vary greatly between companies, as the resulting support will vary too. Some companies may charge on a project-by-project basis, while others offer consulting retainer agreements with a specific amount of time each month or quarter.
Consult the Experts
Oneupweb has been steering businesses in the right direction for 20+ years. Not only do we provide digital marketing consulting with a mindset of honest partnership. We also do the work to fulfill your new marketing plan – if you’re into that level of support. Either way, we show you the data that proves we’re making a difference.