YouTube Channel Optimization
There are two main components to a successful YouTube channel: video optimization and your channel’s ability to rank in organic YouTube searches. To give your channel the ranking boost it needs to be seen in YouTube search, follow this YouTube optimization guide and download the YouTube channel checklist.
Why Should I Optimize My Channel?
It’s YouTube – shouldn’t I focus all my time on my videos? Turns out, your YouTube channel’s SEO plays a crucial role in how well your videos perform organically. In other words, your videos have a better shot of performing well if your channel is optimized.
YouTube channel SEO and YouTube video SEO have a symbiotic relationship. Sure, you can have a viral video without properly optimizing your channel, but that’s like taking the time to butter a piece of toast and then not eating it. Your channel – and your business, for that matter – won’t gain anything from that video until your channel is optimized to convert.
YouTube Ranking Factors
The YouTube algorithm takes these factors into account when determining which content will rank for which search terms:
- Watch time: How long are viewers watching your videos? Or, as YouTube understands it, how long is your content keeping viewers on the YouTube platform?
- Video length: Longer videos are more likely to satisfy user intent… if the content is relevant. As a creator, consistent quality and quantity should be prioritized.
- Number of subscribers: The number of viewers that subscribe to your channel help YouTube understand your channel’s domain authority.
- Viewer engagement: If users are sharing, commenting, liking, subscribing and linking to your content, YouTube will rank it higher.
How to Optimize Your Channel to Convert Viewers into Subscribers into Customers
Having a correctly optimized channel means you’ll have a lot of subscribers who are engaged with your content. This will ensure your channel has a high watch time and that the length of your content is optimized specifically for your audience. Some basic aspects of YouTube channel optimization include:
- Keyword strategy in channel tags, your channel name, the about section and throughout playlists
- Upload a channel trailer, and keep it up to date
- Show off your design skills
- Link to relevant channels
The longer, more delicious answer to “how to optimize a YouTube channel” is in our YouTube channel checklist. (Sorry, we’re thinking about toast again.) You can download the checklist below.
We’re YouTube Experts
Seriously. We know YouTube, and we know how to leverage YouTube to help brands grow. Check out our YouTube services page to learn what we can do for you.